Very little is known about Lewdown Cricket Club’s early years, although in common with most Village cricket teams the club was probably started by the squire of the local estate, in this case Lewtrenchard. It is known that cricket was played earlier than 1906 but no information is available.
In October 1906 an agreement was formed between Mr Charles Ware, Tennant of the Blue Lion Inn and farm and LCC that the club should be appointed the right to use the field known as 6 acres as a cricket ground. Mr Ware retained the right to graze Sheep throughout the summer and Horses and Cows during the winter months. Rev Sabine Baring-Gould, owner of the Lewtrenchard Estate, sanctioned this. This state of affairs continued for many years. During the Second World War the field was ploughed and used for crops and play at the ground did not resume until the late 1940’s. During this time matches were played at Cricket Down Field, courtesy of Mr Down of Musehill Farm.
In December 1950 a formal agreement was formed between the Baring Gould estate and four trustees, namely John Hill of Lobhill, John Payne of the Blue Lion, James Cross, Lew Quarry Cottage and Guy Newman, The Rectory, Lewtrenchard, that a recreation field committee be formed and that cricket and football be played at the field.
During this time the conditions of the field began to improve with much work being done by Frank Dyer, Bill Spry, Arthur Perkins and Gordon Tubb, more friendly matches were played travelling to such villages as Horrabridge, Folly Gate, Werrington etc.
In the sixties more players became involved with the club enabling more competitive games to be played such as Launceston II’s and Okehampton II’s where the club more than held their own.
The early seventies saw the erection of a second hand army hut, which included a kitchen and showers. It was decided the club should join the Launceston League and became league winners in 1977.
By the eighties, in conjunction with Lewdown Youth Club, Colt’s teams were formed, playing friendlies. Eileen Worth became team manager and is still strongly involved with the Colt’s teams today. During this time, under the Captaincy of Malcolm Orchard we won the West Devon Cup against the much stronger and well-fancied Whitchurch team. More successes were to follow. The nineties saw the inclusion of many young Colt’s players including Phillip Adsett, a prolific batsman, scoring many centauries and well over 1000 runs in 1991-92, Charles Hughes and Brenden Worth, both still playing being Captains of the Devon League and Tamar League teams respectively. By the end of the nineties the pavilion was in a very poor state, and planning permission was granted in 2000 for a bigger pavilion to be built. Tony Worth and a small band of helpers worked hard fundraising. The old pavilion was demolished in October 2003 and the new one, self-built was up and ready for the start of the 2004 season. With Charles Hughes putting in a lot of work as groundsman our facilities are the envy of many other clubs. Hard work has been put into revitalising the Colt’s teams by Keith Wonnacott and Brenden Worth. It certainly paid off with the boys being champions of the East and North Cornwall League in 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2005. In 2003 the club joined the Devon League E Division West and in 2005 was promoted to the D Division.
Double bay training nets, an artificial wicket and sight screens have all been installed and the club has just been awarded Clubmark Accreditation by the ECB, one of the first clubs in the area to receive the honour.
Many small village clubs have folded in the past few years but due to the determination of a dedicated committee the future looks good for Cricket at Lewdown. Roll on the next 100 years.